Thursday, February 11, 2010

Pod way of life


When the new trend broke out for the Capsule Hotels in Japan... I didn't find it very surprising. In a city where many employees spend over eighteen hour days at work with a long commute home, it was only a matter of time when these facilities would catch on. I consider it an upscale, cleaner version of backpacking, and at least you have a wall dividing yourself from a stranger, albeit a thin one. I've been wanting to try it out, but unfortunately a lot of the people that travel with me wouldn't consider such a thing. Pity. I try to sell it like it's first class camping, but I guess that's what puts them off.

Televisions, phones, and even a personal window are some of the accessories that come with your personal coffin. There's a lot of websites that link into the best hotels for this kind of thing so I won't even go into it. London, New York and many over priced metropolis' have their own version of pod hotels (but they're a bit more spacious and look like a train cabin berth), offering a less expensive option for travel. The strangest thing is that whenever I see this... I think of The Fifth Element. I guess it's another example of art imitating life or maybe it's the other way around?

For more info check out: Bods in Pods