Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Horatio fix

Like Master and Commander? Robin Hood? The newest Star Trek film?

If you're a star trek fan... this may be a good thing (maybe not but don't let that set you off). Supposedly the original creator (Gene Roddenberry) based the series of Star Trek off of C.S. Forester's Horatio Hornblower series. That shouldn't be surprising since military duty, loyalty to your crew, bravery, intelligence, and sacrifice are all characteristics of good war hero. Ernest Hemingway and Winston Churchill were huge admirers of the books and they also inspired Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe novels.

I have the complete set (love the Sharpe series as well!) and rarely lend it out, but now I never need to. (I've had quite a few Criterion discs go missing or returned to me in scratched condition). If you're like me, and prefer to watch a bit before you fork out the dough, you're in luck! Here's what a I found.


Give it whirl? Links below to the first 3 stories in the series (all in 11 segments).

The Duel 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Fire Ships 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
The Duchess and the Devil 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11