Friday, April 23, 2010

Deception of the mind


I'm rarely taken aback when I see a trailer. The blink of an eye flashes, "the movie guy voice" (Don LaFontiane) , explosions and over the top CGI, sexy slow motion angles... all the same. Every time. Maybe too many films are made every year, or perhaps the media drowns an average viewer with too much information. Even if you don't watch the news every day, avoid gossip magazines, Facebook, Twitter and television, it's virtually impossible to remain a blank slate.

Which is why I was surprised when I saw the trailer for Inception.

A very good trailer. It doesn't tell you too much, doesn't scream "Academy Award winner!", the pacing won't give you a seizure, and I haven't seen the actors on any tabloids. I miss the days when I could walk into the theatre and not know what kind of film I was about to see. In the first ten minutes when a film managed to grab me by the reins and suspend my disbelief... it could grab hold of me and let me fly...

Lately I'm always getting the feeling of déjà vu every time, and yet I'm always eternally optimistic every time I buy my ticket. Here's hoping for a good year...