Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Old Kingdom expansion

Equal to George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, Garth Nix's Abhorsen series has shone brighter than the rest of the young adult fiction fantasy section, and has a very large following. Posted on his Amazon site/blog he has two other books in his Old Kingdom world to be published later this year and 2011.

Excerpt

"Gosh, I'm slow to post here, aren't I? My apologies. I've been busy working on Superior Saturday, amongst other things.

Anyway, gather round folks! I have news. It's been reported in various industry publications, so I might as well post it here too: I will be writing two more novels set in the Old Kingdom and Ancelstierre. They will be published by Allen & Unwin in Australia and by HarperCollins US and HarperCollins UK.

The first, probably out in 2010, will be Clariel: The Lost Abhorsen, which is the story of the young woman who eventually became Chlorr of the Mask. It takes place about 320 years before the events in Sabriel. The second is untitled, and is a sequel of sorts toAbhorsen, taking place several years later. It should be out in 2011. Both 2010 and 2011 seem like a long way away but no doubt will sneak up on me horribly when I least expect it. Sometimes I think time is a practitioner of the secret Welsh martial art of Llap-Goch.

Before those two Old Kingdom books I have to finish The Keys to the Kingdom (I'm nearly done with Superior Saturday, so just Lord Sunday after that) and there will also be a standalone science fiction novel, called A Confusion of Princes, which should be out in 2009."


What a prolific writer! Ah.. now if only we could all get George R.R. Martin to write faster... If you're wondering if a film version will ever be made... it sounds unlikely. Which is a good thing(trust me). Authors should keep a tight leash on their creation, and if isn't done right why do it at all? Producers, directors, and many crew members don't always care for the original source material and it shows through within every frame. Established writers certainly have the money, so hold out!

Interview of Garth Nix on Times Online and his reluctance to let his work fall into the wrong hands.