Saturday, August 4, 2012

Golden Egg #1

I was lucky enough to acquire a few pre-release editions that are sure to wet any readers appetite this fall.  I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's "the next Harry Potter smash hit",  but I would certainly categorize Shannon Messenger's debut novel "Keeper of the Lost Cities" with the hugely successful Percy Jackson, Artemis Fowl, and Keys to the Kingdom series.

I can't be bothered with re-typing the back of the novel... to keep it short, it follows the general formula of any children's literature hit:

An attractive, talented, orphaned, twelve-fourteen year old child, thrown into a strange magical universe, forced to attend a military/private school structure as the world crumbles around them.

Does this mean it's not worth the read?  Nope, it's like crack for kids and before you know it, kids will babbling about brown-eyed elves rather than wizards.
Enjoy!