Sunday, November 21, 2010

Escape vs. Reality

As I sit along the subway, I'm often surprised how many people have turned to teen fiction. Unlike the typical Oprah book club cry-fest, young adult fiction offers a less tiresome investment of time, and the opportunity to escape the mundane realities of life.
It's also a good segue into fantasy and science fiction for the open minded individuals.

If you're like me, you've probably read most of the most popular picks. Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, Percy Jackson, Narnia, Golden Compass, Artemis Fowl... pretty much everything that has, or will turn into a movie.

The difficulty is finding new fiction that doesn't replicate what you've read.

For the past few years I've scoured the "best lists" and to my frustration, the lists are all the same.


Rereading some classics... and new finds

Battle Royale - Takami Koushun
Shade's Children - Garth Nix
The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie
The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula K. Le Guin


Still lust for YA Fiction?

Highly recommended by many (I have yet to read) The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner