Saturday, November 27, 2010

beauty of chess


I recently went to the Harry Potter exhibit, filled with sets, costumes and prop designs. It wasn't bad, but having attended both Lord of the Rings exhibits at Casa Loma and then the ROM, it had a lot to live up to.

At the end of the exhibit (like every place I've gone) the poor parents were led into one of the most decked out gift shops I've ever seen! The prices were astronomical, and considering the price of admission, I can only imagine the hole slowly burning through their wallets. The only item I would have been tempted to purchase would have been the Harry Potter chess set, I have been searching for an elegant set for years. Unfortunately I found the design rather tacky, and for the hefty price tag attached, I expected a heck of a lot more.

Wouldn't it be great if you could play with a set as beautiful as the Lewis Chessmen? To this day, I haven't seen its equal.


Next up: Tim Burton's exhibit.