Monday, June 21, 2010

The Upgrade trade


Authors are about to become the next creators to be stripped of any financial reward for their hard work. With the popularity of the ipad and many other cheaper e-book readers, the publishing world will see a gradual decline in sales. As a big gadget geek this is one item I'm trying to avoid like the plague. My eyes you see... are becoming weaker and weaker. What did a co-worker say? "Oh, just get them lasered". Are you kidding me?

Although I've managed to get a lot of kids hooked to reading, I'm relieved to learn that many of them prefer the plush paper copies of literature. I've read a number of pros and con sites and I'm still skeptical.

The argument:

"They're much more environmentally friendly. You don't have to kill a few trees for each book, and let's not even talk about the ink. Recycling only goes so far."

Really? I doubt that. Most Apple products are designed to break down after three years so that consumers will upgrade. Batteries are not exactly all that resourceful and well... hasn't anyone ever heard of the LIBRARY??

It's called a library card. Go online, put book on hold, pick up. Read... and return!