Monday, October 24, 2011

A Face lift

Movies are dead. Words that no studio exec wants to hear. Is it true? Not sure.. all I hear around me is: "There's nothing worth seeing right now. I'd rather just watch a few re-runs at home." Sad isn't it?

The LINE UP of Fall 2011, 2012, 2013

Sandal flicks and the 300 look.
Immortals? Clash of the Titans? Prince of Persia? B-O-R-I-N-G! Heroes that are perfect, not funny.. I can't relate to them... at all. So why did 300 work? Well Gerald Butler doesn't look like them, he was married, was walking toward his death, and it was the FIRST of it's kind. Slow motion shots feel like a parody now. It's old.

Superheroes are dull
Unless they are drunk, cocky, brash, arrogant pricks. Which is why Iron man, Batman, and Thor are cool.

Aliens and Robots
Skyline, Battle L.A., Cowboys and Aliens, Rise of the Apes. Will I remember them later? Nope.
So what makes Avatar, and soon to be Prometheus and Robopocalypse buzz worthy? The director. Period.

Fairy dust
Hoping to sprinkle a little bit of magic dust from Alice and Wonderland, Hollywood is tapping into the huge vault of long dead writers of the past. Both versions of Snow White are a little obnoxious. Julia Roberts as the evil queen? Idiotic. The twilight girl battling horsemen? Stupid.

Right now I want to step back into history layered in reality. Which is why Anonymous, Tinker, Tailer, Soldier, Spy, and A Dangerous Method are on my list.

What would I like to see?
I must admit Noah's Ark could be interesting... Devil in the White City is fascinating.. a dark version of Atlantis? Arabian Nights from the view of the jaded pissed off genie? Whatever it is be different (ie no cheesy action slow mo shots), be personal, be worth $12.